Monday, February 26

One to Love Unconditionally


Shortly after writing my last post, I turned on my online Pandora Radio and Death Cab's "Debate Exposes Doubt" came on. I think it's one more snapshot of a generation starved for relationship, and hungry for a taste of the unconditional love of the Father.

I was in the corner booth thinking
(pretending to read)
About the possibility
of one to love unconditionally
and the words that
drive into the ground

their repetition starts
to thin their meaning.


(From the aptly named record, The Photo Album.)

I have sweet memories attached to this song. I used to listen to it on repeat while driving the Portuguese backroads from Sao Joao to Malveira de Serra.

I'm not afraid to cite Death Cab for Cutie as a legitmate voice for my generation. While the true hipsters may say they've sold out for mainstream, I still think they're excellent narrators and song-crafters. In 2000 I discovered We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes in an old Catonsville record shop, and I've been hooked since.

No comments: