Saturday, September 29

Am I A Falcon, A Storm?


Two bags packed, one to go.

Last night I had three teenage girls in my living room to help me "sort my clothes." To allow a sixteen-year old the right to advise you on what you ought pack in your suitcase is both enlightening and frightening. To have three of them is to invite a war, of sorts. There was much laughter. At one point, I had to ardently defend the rights of my favorite soft green shirt.

Girls: "That's for the give-away pile, Nelly. It spells, 'Grandma.'"

Me: "But!"

Girls: "Oh, Nelly, please. No Grandma shirts."

Me: "Listen you! I do not look like a Grandma in this shirt! I'll prove it to you." [Theatrically grabs a black skirt with the green shirt and huffs away to the dressing room.]

I won. The shirt lives. But a lot of other stuff dies to the give-away pile.

Operation Pack is spelled: simplify, give-away, simplify. The nice thing about two transcontinental moves in five years is that you learn to condense your belongings into a few suitcases. It feels good.

Before I fell asleep I read a nice poem by Rainer Maria Rilke (in translation). I found myself in it. From his Book of a Monastic Life:

I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

I circle around God, around the primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and I still don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pit pile was the greatest thing ever that night!! I loved the bikini talk as well very enlightening and funny!!

love ya alwayz
Lyd

Jenelle said...

Lyd,
Pit pile! Nothing is sacred anymore. Thanks so much for coming over to help me in my pitifulness. Heart!

Heather Cady said...

Love that poem! Thanks for sharing it!

Melissa said...

I can completely identify with your packing madness... I've moved 7 times in the last 5 years, two of them across continents. Unfortunately, I haven't found the luxury of downsizing my belongings into a few bags. Oddly, they keep multiplying. Maybe I need to hang out with more high school girls. :)

ps- that is an amazing poem. thank you for sharing it with me. I have Rilke's works in German. I need to read him more.