Wednesday, September 19

Sky Blogging



I'm blogging from the sky on my flight back to Baltimore.

I almost always request the aisle seat because I think it's the seat with the most freedom. I can get up and skip down the aisle if I like to.

I am sitting next to a bona fide arm-rest hogger. Travelers, you know these people. They have these quick-moving elbows that overtake the arm-rest within seconds of sitting down. It's all over now, baby blue. Lean in to the aisle and don't start a fight.

Paris Je'taime is an excellent film that reminds me of why I like one-acts. 18 short scenes of life in Paris through the eyes of different directors. The very last scene is so ridiculous and true and lovely. A somewhat pathetic single American lady narrates as if she's awkwardly telling her French class all about her trip to Paris. Her accent is horrifically American. But by the very end I am crying these accidental wonderful tears, with her.

There's another scene where Natalie Portman is in love with a blind French guy. This little 8 minute scene is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I mean, it's incredible. I want the DVD just for this scene.

If you've happened to fall in love with Salinger since we last talked, this would be a good time to pause and read Nine Stories. My favorite is #6: "For Esmé - with Love and Squalor." It should make you raise high your eyebrows and laugh.

This is feeling like the longest flight of my life. I am a stationary bird flapping her wings forever atop the Atlantic.

At least British Airways has some interesting entertainment choices. I'm watching a documentary about Mary J. Blige. Did you know that Mary was considred the anti-Whitney Houston? I'm learning all about the soundtrack to all of the awkward seventh-grade dances where I tried to bob my head to a beat I couldn't translate. I was a terrible dancer. I'm still not great. I try.

Mary J. Blige made it to the record industry when a producer happened upon a tape of her singing in the mall. She was still living in the projects when her first single went big. I like this lady. Especially because BBC claims that she invented the curious phrase, "Ghetto Fabulous." Oh!

4 comments:

ajn said...

I posted something new today. I kind of really like it. I kind of am really glad that you &i reside in the same country nowadays. I am kind of going to see Over the Rhine with Elise Witek.

spain dad said...

I love Salinger, by the way. Franny and Zooey is my favorite so far.

Beth said...

I keep meaning to see that movie! And I love Esme.

halline said...

unless a rare event, formal. Help your bridesmaids couture wedding dresses with the cost of the dress is an option, designer wedding dresses but not impossible for the clothes themselves. destination wedding dresses